Trump says US ‘locked and loaded’ in response to Saudi oil facilities attack – World

Tensions are rising in the Persian Gulf after the president of the United States, Donald Trump, said on Sunday that the United States was "blocked and charged" for a possible response to the attack on Saudi oil facilities.

"There are reasons to believe that we know the culprit, we are locked up and loaded depending on the verification, but we are waiting to hear from the Kingdom about who they believe was the cause of this attack, and under what terms we would proceed!" Trump said on Twitter.

The attack, which halved the kingdom's oil production and raised oil prices, led Trump to authorize the release of US strategic reserves in case they were necessary to stabilize the markets.

Sunday's tweets followed a meeting of the National Security Council in the White House and hours after US officials offered what they said was proof that the attack was inconsistent with the claims of responsibility of the Houthi rebels aligned with Iran from Yemen and instead pointed directly to Tehran.

A US official said that all options, including a military response, were on the table, but added that no decisions had been made. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

Iran called the US claims "maximum lies" and threatened US forces in the region. The attack lowered hopes of possible nuclear talks between Trump and Iranian President Hassan Rouhani at the UN General Assembly this week.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi dismissed the United States charge of responsibility as "blind and futile comments."

"The Americans adopted the" maximum pressure "policy against Iran, which, due to its failure, leans towards" maximum lies, "Mousavi said in a statement.

Read: "Blaming Iran will not end the disaster," says FM Zarif after the United States blames Tehran for Saudi attacks

Houthi leader Muhammad al-Bukhaiti reiterated his group's claim of responsibility, saying The Associated Press exploited the "vulnerabilities" in Saudi air defenses to attack the targets. He did not give more details.

Earlier, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had also said there was no evidence that the attack was coming from Yemen, where a Saudi-led coalition has been fighting the Houthis for more than four years in a conflict widely seen as a power war between Saudi Arabia and its rival. I ran

What direction did the attack come from?

This image provided on Sunday by the US government. UU. And DigitalGlobe and noted by the source, shows damage to infrastructure in the Kuirais oil field of Saudi Aramco in Buqyaq, Saudi Arabia. ─ US Government UU. / Digital globe through AP

The United States government produced satellite photos that show what officials said were at least 19 impact points at two Saudi power facilities, including damage to the heart of the kingdom’s crucial oil processing plant in Abqaiq. Authorities said the photos show impacts consistent with the attack from the direction of Iran or Iraq, rather than from Yemen to the south.

Iraq denied that its territory was used for an attack on the kingdom. US officials said an attack from there would be a violation of Iraq's sovereignty.

US officials said additional devices, which apparently did not achieve their objectives, were recovered northwest of the facility and are being jointly analyzed by Saudi and US intelligence. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence issues, did not address whether the drone could have been fired from Yemen, then took an indirect path, but did not explicitly rule it out.

The attacks and recriminations are increasing fears already intensified of an escalation in the region, after a prominent US senator suggested attacking Iranian oil refineries in response to the assault, and Iran warned of the potential for further violence.

"Due to the tension and the delicate situation, our region is like a barrel of gunpowder," said Iranian brigadier general Amir Ali Hajizadeh. "When these contacts get too close, when the forces come into contact with each other, a conflict may occur due to a misunderstanding."

Actions on either side could reveal a twilight war that has been unleashed just below the surface of the Persian Gulf in recent months. There have already been mysterious attacks on the tankers that the United States attributes to Tehran, at least one alleged Israeli attack on the forces in Iraq, and Iran shooting down a drone of US military surveillance.

Source: https://www.dawn.com/news/1505523/trump-says-us-locked-and-loaded-in-response-to-saudi-oil-facilities-attack

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here