ISLAMABAD: The Islamabad Superior Court (IHC) has set up a two-member bank to hear an appeal filed by former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif against his conviction in the Al-Azizia reference.
The bank, consisting of Judge Aamir Farooq and Judge Mohsin Akhtar Kayani, will hear the appeal on September 18.
This will be the first hearing of Mr. Sharif's appeal since the controversy arose over the leaked video of Judge Arshad Malik in July.
The video, which allegedly shows Judge Arshad Malik "confessing" that he had convicted Nawaz Sharif under duress, was made public by Maryam Nawaz, leader of the Pakistan-Nawaz Muslim League, at a press conference.
The accountability judge Arshad Malik, who was removed from office after the leak, was the author of the verdicts in the references of Al Azizia and Flagship on December 24 of last year. He condemned Mr. Sharif in the case of Al-Azizia, but acquitted him in the other.
Judge Malik admitted that there was a video in which he was shown in a compromising position, but claimed that supporters of PML-N Nasir Butt, Nasir Janjua, Mahar Ghulam Jilani and Khurram Yousaf had bought this video from the defendant Mian Tariq Mehmood and They were pressing him to acquit Nawaz Sharif.
The judge said in a sworn statement that in a social meeting attended by Nasir Janjua and Maher Ghulam Jilani, the former took him aside and asked him to issue a verdict of acquittal in both references.
The judge also claimed that the two individuals met him later at a party and offered him Euros equivalent to almost Rs100 million and told him that in his foreign vehicle currencies worth Rs20m were already available.
The affidavit alleged that Nasir Butt told the judge that Nasir Janjua would make the video public soon. A couple of days later, Mian Tariq Mehmood visited the judge's house and showed him the video.
While the defendant Tariq Mahmood was sent to jail for judicial detention, the three suspects, Nasir Janjua, Maher Ghulam Jilani and Khurram Yousaf, were detained in FIA custody for questioning.
After the expiration of his physical detention, the investigating officer submitted a discharge report to the local court last week, stating that during the course of the investigation, "they [the accused] they were found not involved in the commission of crimes directed against them in the case … and the charges against them could not be established. "
The Supreme Court disqualified Nawaz Sharif from holding any public office in July 2017 and ordered the National Responsibility Office (NAB) to present three references against the Sharif family.
Previously, the main court had set up a six-member joint investigation team (JIT), composed of officials from the Federal Investigation Agency, NAB, Intelligence between Services, Military Intelligence, Securities and Exchange Commission and the State Bank.
Accountability judge Mohammad Bashir condemned Sharif and his daughter Maryam Nawaz in the Avenfield property reference on July 6 last year. However, the IHC suspended the sentence.
Posted in Dawn, September 10, 2019