Geeta Phogat is an Indian wrestler famous for being the first Indian woman to win a gold medal at Commonwealth Games in 2010. She is also the first Indian female wrestler to participate in the Olympic Summer Olympics.
Wiki / biography
Geeta Phogat was born on Thursday, December 15, 1988 as & # 39; Geeta Kumari Phogat & # 39;30 years old; As 2018) In Balali village of Harali. Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius.
She attended Maharshi Dayanand University in Rohtak, Haryana. She began wrestling with her father's mentoring. Since her village did not have adequate facilities, his father registered her and her sister Babita with Sonipat's Indian Sports Bureau.
kidney: 5 ′ 3½ ”
Weight (approx.): 60 kg
Eye color: black
Hair color: black
Family, caste and husband
Geeta Phogat was born in the Jat family. Her father, Mahavir Singh Phogat, is a former wrestler and senior Olympic coach. He also won the Dronacharya Award. Her mother Shobha Kaur is a housewife.
She has a younger brother named Dushyant (wrestler) and three sisters named Babita Kumari (wrestler), Sangeeta Phogat (wrestler) and Ritu Phogat (wrestler).
She married Fabulous Kumar, an Indian wrestler on November 20, 2016.
Geeta Phogat made her international wrestling debut at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championship in Punjab, Jalandhar in 2009, winning her gold medal. You beat Emily Bensted 1-0, 7-0. She won India's first gold medal in women's wrestling at the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi in 2010.
Since then she has won various wrestling championships, including Asian Games, Commonwealth Games, and several national and international tournaments. She is also the first Indian female wrestler to compete in the Olympics.
Category: Freestyle 55kg
Coach / Mentor: Mahavir Singh Phogat
- The National Sports Academy criticized and demanded apology after the release of the 2016 film “Dangal” based on the story of the Phogat family, PR Sondhi (Phogat sister coach of the 2010 Commonwealth Games). Aamir Khan, who incorrectly portrayed the character of the coach in the film.
- In 2016, Phogat sisters Geeta and Babita were disqualified at the 2016 Rio Olympics. The UWW (United World Wrestling) delegation was disqualified from the tournament because he could not get information about the injury.
- The 2018 Indian Wrestling Federation (WFI) banned Pokat sisters from attending the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta. Previously, WFI sent show cause notices to wrestlers who did not appear in training camps held in Lucknow and Sonepat from May 10-25, 2018. But Geeta tournament after a reasonable explanation.
Awards and achievements
- Arjuna Award 2012
World Wrestling Championship
- 2012 Strathcona County Bronze (55kg)
- Gold in Delhi in 2010 (55 kg)
Commonwealth Wrestling Championships
- Ja2009 Jalan Darl Gold (55 kg)
- 2011 Melbourne Gold (55 kg)
- In Johannesburg in 2013 (59 kg)
Asian Wrestling Championship
- 2012 Gumi Bronze (55kg)
- Bulgo bronze in 2015 (58 kg)
- FILA Asian Olympic Qualifier Tournament 2012- Gold
- Dave Schulz Memorial Tournament, 2013 – Silver
- Dave Schulz Memorial Tournament, 2014 – Bronze
- Fashion brand: Mark & Spencer, Zara, H & M
- Fashion designer: Litu Kumar
- sports : Wrestling, car body
- Travel destinations: Mauritius
- She likes to dress up and shop.
- Wrestling flow from the Phogat family; Geeta's grandfather Man Singh was a wrestler, his father Mahavir was a wrestler, Babita, Sangeeta and Ritu were wrestlers, and his brother Dushyant was also a wrestler. Her cousins, Priyanka and Viennese Pogat, who were raised by Geta's father after the death of his uncle, are also professional wrestlers.
- Mahavir was inspired to teach his daughters wrestling after weightlifter Karnam Malleswari became the first Indian woman to win a medal at the Olympics. He was also influenced by his daughter Chandgi Ram to train his daughters for wrestling. Mahavir says this.
Everyone said that I trained women to shame our village, but why can't we be a wrestler if a woman can be the prime minister of a country? ”
- Her teenage girl, Babita, became the object of criticism and ridicule of the villagers because the two girls did not follow the customs of society. Recalling her past, Geeta says.
We were two teenage girls, who, according to custom, had to wear loose clothes to hide the curves, but instead they were turning the wheat fields with shorts and lycra, cut hair. Everyone was waiting for us wrong foot. They thought we would start seeing boys or compromising. They almost wanted us to be ashamed of our parents to do something that could be proved correctly. ”
- Her father left work to focus on Geeta and her sister Babita's Commonwealth training.
- As a child, the father woke her and her sister Babita at 3:30 am and trained them for 3-4 hours at Akhada. I had to go to school during the day, and when I returned, I was trained again for 3-4 hours in the evening. Since there were no female wrestlers, her father would be wrestling with the children. According to Geeta, 5-6 years was the hardest part of their lives.
- Her father trained her and Babita to train in mud arena, local wrestling competitions and even trained gyms with advanced training equipment.
- The love stories of Geeta and Pawan Kumar grew through Facebook conversations. She and Pawan attended the 2012 Olympic camp. Pawan sent a message to Facebook to Geeta and said she was a big fan of her. A few months later they met again in the United States, and Fawan contacted her. Talking about it, she says.
Then suddenly I got a message that I missed me. I said it was good to greet him, but why would you miss me? He barely knew me. ”
After some time, she blocked because Pawan stopped talking to her. So Pawan began to contact her via a fake Facebook ID, and will block him again the moment Pawan reveals his identity. At the time, she thought that Pawan was not serious. I accidentally had a knee operation and met each other in the same hospital. There is a long conversation or where. She began to take him seriously, and both finally agreed to marry him.
- The movie "Dangal (2016)" is a biography about the life of Geeta and her family. Aamir Khan took on the roles of his father Mahavir and Fatima Sana Shaikh, portraying her character in the film.
- Geeta first met Aamir Khan in 2014 at Aamir's show Satyamev Jayate to interview the Phogat sisters.
- In October 2016, she was appointed police deputy director in Haryana.
- Geeta loves to exercise and loves to exercise.
- In 2017, she took part in the reality show “Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi (Season-8)” on color TV.
- She has her husband's name tattooed on his left hand.
- Geeta loves animals and owns a pet dog named Sheru and a cat named Bella.