ISLAMABAD: Rejecting the Afghan allegation of bombing along the border, the Foreign Ministry said Wednesday that Pakistani troops only responded in self-defense when they were attacked by terrorists based on Afghan soil and asked Kabul to fulfill his commitment to eliminate terrorist hiding places throughout the country. Afghan border
“As a matter of policy, Pakistan does not fire across the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan. Cross-border attacks by terrorists on army / FC posts are answered only in self-defense, ”said a statement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The statement was issued in response to a letter written by the Permanent Representative of Afghanistan to the United Nations Adela Raz to the president of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC). The Afghan envoy in the letter alleged "continued violations of the territory of Afghanistan by the military forces of Pakistan." He also said that these violations were in the form of district bombing in the eastern parts of Afghanistan; construction of military posts and barriers in Afghan territory; and violation of Afghan airspace by Pakistani military aircraft.
"Pakistan regrets the misrepresentation of the Afghan government of the facts about some recent incidents of gunfire along the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan," the FO said in its rejoinder.
Regrets that Afghanistan's facts about recent shooting incidents have been distorted
He also said: "As a matter of policy, Pakistan does not fire across the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan. Cross-border terrorist attacks on army / FC positions are answered only in self-defense."
The location of these terrorist camps along the border, the FO said, had been formally shared with the Afghan government.
"The government of Afghanistan had been asked to deploy its forces in these areas to put it under its effective control," the FO added.
Kabul was asked to address the issue of cross-border sanctuaries in accordance with "mutual understanding on these issues."
Meanwhile, Indian Deputy High Commissioner Gaurav Ahluwalia was summoned Wednesday to the Foreign Ministry for receiving protest over the latest ceasefire violations by India in which two civilians lost their lives.
Abdul Jalil and Nausheen, three, were killed and four others suffered serious injuries in the most recent ceasefire violations by Indian forces in the Nekrun sector and the Chirikot sectors.
Indian occupation forces along the LoC and the work limit have been continuously attacking areas populated by civilians with artillery fire, large caliber mortars and automatic weapons.
“The deliberate targeting of areas populated by civilians is truly deplorable and contrary to human dignity, international human rights and humanitarian laws. Violations of the ceasefire by India are a threat to regional peace and security and can lead to a strategic miscalculation, ”said the FO.
Published on Dawn, August 29, 2019